We must encourage our women in business because in my opinion, if you empower a woman, you have in most cases empowered an entire family, if not the entire community.
Let me refer to the book of all books because it serves as a reminder of what the Creator had in mind, when He decided to create a woman.
Let’s turn to Genesis 2:
18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
As you can see from the bible passage that God has destined that women will always play very important roles in the family and society at large. Any wonder why men always look up to women (mothers, sisters or wives) for support, companionship, love etc.?
Today, society has through urbanisation added new levels of responsibilities on women, quite a number of them now play the dual role of taking care of the family as well as pursuing a career or starting a small business to meet up with the growing cost of living. This is has certainly put some sort of pressure on them especially women in business.
Most women in business need;
- Business support
- Access to finance
- Proper web presence management
Kudos should be given to the following organisations for deeming it fit to come to the rescue of women in business;
- Enterprise Development Centre of the Pan-African University. This is one institution that has stood behind female entrepreneurs through various programs such as the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Scholarship Initiative
- IBM Nigeria. For various programs that support SMEs including the most recent Enterprise challenge for women.
- International Finance Corporation, IFC for funding and creating a platform like the SME Toolkit that provides 24/7 time support for SMEs.
Why Social Media Success Training for Women in Business?
When the IBM Nigeria team invited us to come train 50 women who applied and qualified to be part of the IBM/EDC/IFC women enterprise challenge, we agreed to their request to train these lovely women at no cost whatsoever!
Take-away Tip: One strategy that has always worked for us is “offering our service at no cost” to certain organisations such as Fate Foundation and Full Gospel Nigeria. This has helped us truly become the leading digital media consultants and SEO in Nigeria. So, what is stopping you from offering some free service? Money isn’t everything…………..
The keys to discipline –‘Start with the little things and work up to the big ones. – Jim Rohn
A look at what I shared with them:
- Differentiation – if you must succeed in the social media game, then you must differentiate yourself.
- Value – one way of differentiating yourself is through the value you bring to the marketplace.
- Content – without content, value will have no history.
- Optimisation – it is great to have content but it has to be optimised.
- Authority – 1-4 makes you an authority in your industry overtime, if you are consistent and focused.
Imagine, dwelling on a single power-point slide for close to 40 minutes? Which points to the fact that it must have been an interesting and engaging session.
During the social media success session, I watched 50 women in business, listen to me with 100% attention. Honestly, I was a bit apprehensive speaking to a female-only class but I made up my mind to make it a remarkable experience. It was a highly interactive, super charged and practical training session.
The moment I uttered the last words “thank you for listening” can a humbling and inspiring experience; I heard women clap like they had just listened to their child make a presentation that made them proud mothers. It was a resounding round of applause indeed!
Guess what happened as I was just settling down? Whispers and hand written notes sent to me;
It did not stop there; as soon we called it a day, I became some sort of ‘superstar’ which by the way I am 🙂
All the ladies wanted my business card……..